Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

A blog about words, wordplay, and etymology, with slightly more than occasional political rants.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Win Win

You know how they say that it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game? I always just thought that was something losers say; I never thought people actually meant that.
Until I played Critter in the Candy with my friends' 4 year-old. Critter in the Candy's kind of a memory game with a twist. You have to make matches, but if you pick up the game piece with the critter on it, you lose points.
First of all, the kid is 4 and he takes turn better than my husband. And unlike my husband, he doesn't cheat. But even better, the kid tries to win, but doesn't get upset if he doesn't. And whenever he picks up the critter, he laughs so hard it hurts your ears.
What if we all started making trite sayings come true? 
What if love really was blind? Would Angelina Jolie be raising barn-loads of children with Steve Buscemi? And if you really can do anything you set your mind to, I'm gonna set my mind to Johny Depp. If life were just a bowl of cherries, we'd need a whole lot of Tide pens.

No comments:

ShareThis