Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

A blog about words, wordplay, and etymology, with slightly more than occasional political rants.

Friday, October 1, 2010

For starters

Sorry I've been neglecting the blog lately. I've got a lot of irons in the fire, not the least of which is teaching a writing class at church, and between that and everything else, I'm often all writed out by the time I get near the compy. 
Speaking of church, a coworker charged me some time ago with getting online and explaining what the heck Unitarian Universalism is, because the Internets do a poor job of explaining. You can say that again. 
This is partially due, of course, to the fact that there's really no convenient definition for Unitarian Universalism. A lot of people, including a lot of UUs, consider it a religion where everybody just believes whatever they want to; or church for people who aren't religious but still want to go to church. And while there's a kernel of truth there, it's a pretty dinky kernel.
I should make the little disclaimer here that I don't speak for all UUs, or for Unitarian Universalism as a whole; I'm just saying how I see it.
It's true that in Unitarian Universalism, there's no official religious creed. That doesn't mean we don't believe anything. I think that the thing most UUs believe when it comes to faith is that faith is a journey. We believe that everybody has the right to find their own path, and we come together on Sundays in fellowship to share what we've learned along our way, and if we're doing our jobs, help ourselves and each other become better people.
There are more facts and figures, quotes and sermons, but I'll close with words from a big poster hanging on our church wall:
Love is the spirit of this congregation
and service is its law.
This is our great covenant:
To dwell together in peace; to seek the truth in love; and to help one another.

No comments:

ShareThis