Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

A blog about words, wordplay, and etymology, with slightly more than occasional political rants.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Jeremy's pet peeves

You've read a lot over the past few years about my language-related pet peeves, but my husband has some too. And because I cannot think of a damn thing to write about today, I'm writing about him.


Redundant abbreviations:
ATM Machine (Automatic Teller Machine Machine)
PIN Number (Personal Identification Number Number)


Small talk:
"If I can't think of anything but the weather to talk to you about, that's a sign you're not somebody I want to talk to." 


His wife's pet peeves:
I went through a phase during which dangling prepositions drove me bananas and I complained about them a lot. Jeremy once told me "Now you've made me hate dangling prepositions, and I see them everywhere - for which I hate you." He's a clever one, that Jeremy. 

No comments:

ShareThis