Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

A blog about words, wordplay, and etymology, with slightly more than occasional political rants.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Guess what day it is

If a space alien walked into the average business office on a Wednesday, they'd probably wonder what the big deal with humping was and why, if it's so great, it can only be done once a week. 
The Oxford English Dictionary website places the first instance of "hump day" in a 1959 issue of the Long Beach Press Telegram: "The high light of any patrol..is Hump Day... That's the day the patrol is half over, when the rest of the way is downhill."
I find it strange how we all seem to count down the minutes to Friday from the minute we arrive on Monday. I like my weekends as much as the next guy, but I don't think gulag inmates are as preoccupied with escape as office workers seem to be. And the way time sprints by, I feel like a tool when I find myself wishing the minutes of my life away. 




No comments:

ShareThis