Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

A blog about words, wordplay, and etymology, with slightly more than occasional political rants.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Fake AP Stylebook

A few gems from a fantastic source I just found: http://twitter.com/fakeapstylebook:



  • The phrase "hands are tied" is cliché; restrict usage to BDSM scene coverage.
  • Use “-ass” to intensify an adjective: a weak-ass excuse, a big-ass truck, a Pinteresque-ass play.
  • irony - Using words to mean the opposite of their literal meaning. ironey - Made of iron.
  • Hong Kong is technically a part of China. Hong Kong Phooey is technically a number one super guy.
  • As appropriate as it may seem, references to the game "Frogger" have no place in pedestrian death stories.
  • family-friendly - hopefully won't offend the easily offended, but probably will anyway.
By the way, poor Dr. Laura has this to say:
“I want to be able to say what’s on my mind and in my heart and what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry or some special-interest group deciding this is a time to silence a voice of dissent.”

*Sob* I want to be allowed to call someone a hateful word a dozen times without any repercussion whatsoever. My life is hard.

No comments:

ShareThis