Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

A blog about words, wordplay, and etymology, with slightly more than occasional political rants.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Why is the rummage gone?

I've been very busy this week planning for the church rummage sale. That's right, I am planning a rummage sale. At a church. A friend suggested I blog on the word rummage, which was a good idea until I looked it up. So... boring. Look it up if you like, but don't say I didn't warn you.


So I asked my friends The Mavens for guidance, and they gave me an origin for white elephant, which is a bit more interesting. Seems there's such a thing as an albino elephant, so rare and so beautiful that it was venerated in parts of Asia.


Legend says that the king of Siam, when somebody tweaked him off, he'd send them one of these rare beautiful things as a punishment. The thing couldn't be used for work or killed, so the recipient would go broke caring for it.


And that, my friends, is the story of how the king of Siam invented passive aggression.


You will not find any rare beautiful curses at our sale, but should you find yourself in Canton, you should come by.



It's this Saturday, August 21st, from 9 to 3ish. We'll have tons of awesome stuff, entertainment, games, food, a mini craft fair, and more! 2585 Easton St. NE Canton, OH 44721. Can't wait to see you there! Please repost!

No comments:

ShareThis