Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

A blog about words, wordplay, and etymology, with slightly more than occasional political rants.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Thank you for not breeding

You may find this hard to believe, but back in college, I was kind of obnoxiously opinionated. If you're thinking "was obnoxiously opinionated?" right now, you did not know me in college. I'm like Captain Diplomacy compared to College Brigid.
So College Brigid was very fond of spouting off opinions without so much thinking about them first, and one of those opinions was stupid people shouldn't breed. I may have even published an editorial in my college newspaper with this post's title as the headline. Because apparently eugenics is okay, but only if it applies to IQ.
This is something I hear folks say a lot, and it's a truly awful thing to say, not to mention a really ignorant one. As my friends and I discussed recently, people with really high IQs built the atom bomb. In fact, it takes a really high IQ to build any decent weapon of mass destruction. Hitler's IQ was quite a bit higher than Mother Teresa's. And I'm willing to bet that unlike Stalin, the sweet lady at Taco Bell who can't ever remember where the button for pintos and cheese is located has never murdered millions of her own people.
People born with high IQs seem to think that having been born with such an IQ is somehow a virtue, which is sort of like winning the lottery and thinking it's proof you're better than everybody else.
My sister and I have a pile of stories between us in which we were working in service jobs at restaurants or coffee houses, and had apparently intelligent people openly mock us for our apparent stupidity. Once, my sister waited on a father and son. The father was helping his son with his history homework and, in his most disdainful voice told his son, "I'll bet our waitress knows Lenin's first name. Do you know Lenin's first name, honey? And no, I don't mean the Beatle." My sister graduated college with the highest GPA in her class and was moonlighting to supplement her income as one of the best damn teachers in East Cleveland. She not only knew Lenin's first and middle name, she knew his life story from birth to the grave. And really, how idiotic do you have to be to assume that a person who works in a service job must, in fact, be stupid? And even if my sister hadn't known Lenin's first name, what kind of idiot do you have to be to think that such a failing is cause for such douchebaggery?
Reminds me of a story a friend of mine used to tell about the one and only time he went to a MENSA meeting. They ate at a restaurant, and he said that you'd think that people who were geniuses would know that openly mocking restaurant staff is a great way to end up with spit in your food.

This all might lead you to believe that it is, in fact, assholes who shouldn't breed. But then again, the world is full of fantastic people with enormous assholes for parents. So that doesn't work either.
Maybe it is the case that assholes shouldn't be assholes.

No comments:

ShareThis