Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

A blog about words, wordplay, and etymology, with slightly more than occasional political rants.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Gratitude

My cousin Jack's last Facebook post came the morning he died: "My life is wonderful." Jack was sick with cancer, struggling through each day, and he'd had the hardest life of just about anyone I know. But he meant what he said, and if he can say it and mean it...
I don't think, in general, we take the time to talk about what is wonderful. We talk about whom we are mad at and who screwed us over and how much our heads hurt and how tired we are, but we don't talk about the feel of cool grass under our feet on a hot day. We don't say how grateful we are for Technicolor sunsets or porch swings or our families or the baby who grinned at us the whole time we were in line at the grocery store. 
I want to be like Jack, always mindful of what I'm grateful for. And if I do it, and you all do it too, we'll all be putting a lot more happy and gratitude out into the cosmos, and maybe if we all do it in memory of him, we'll be sending Jack out into the cosmos too, helping his love and gratitude live on. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about Jack - Love to you and yours.

You are so right about the positive energy, there's no truer saying than 'you don't know what you've got till it's gone', that saying can be linked to anything - people, objects... for me it is the green grass and the sound of an ice cream van amongst others. I live in the sandbox!

I hope that others take on board Jack's positivity.

Things to Do said...

Jack sounds inspiring. Thanks for sharing his story and I hope everyone puts his lessons to work in their lives.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! Jack left a very powerful message; I will do my best to remember my life is wonderful too.

ShareThis