Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

A blog about words, wordplay, and etymology, with slightly more than occasional political rants.

Monday, January 16, 2012

We Shall Overcome

These words from Martin Luther King, Jr. have been my guiding principal since I first read them when I was 20, and I hope I never stop striving to live up to them:
I am cognizant of the interrelatedness of all communities and states. I cannot sit idly by in Atlanta and not be concerned about what happens in Birmingham. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. Never again can we afford to live with the narrow, provincial "outside agitator" idea. Anyone who lives inside the United States can never be considered an outsider anywhere within its bounds.
The most un-American of all actions is to see injustice and do nothing. The most patriotic thing an American can do is fight, no matter how unpopular the fight, for the life and liberty of our fellow Americans. That's what Martin Luther King taught me. Not just because he fought for the rights of people with brown skin, but because he taught us all to fight for the rights of each other.




So...many...shape wipes

No comments:

ShareThis