Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

A blog about words, wordplay, and etymology, with slightly more than occasional political rants.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Reading things I should be ashamed of

No, it's not 50 Shades again. I'm reading If I Stay, a young adult tear jerker that I'm going to choose to believe isn't some cynical ploy to divest tweens of their babysitting money.
The narrator just told about a funeral she'd gone to, a rocker atheist cynic who had a crazy religious church funeral where they played Wind Beneath My Wings (does that count as a spoiler?)
Then I was really crying, because I was thinking of a religious funeral I went to, of a good friend. Her loved ones chose to take her death as an excuse to witness for Christ; though they never took her life as a call to behave like Christ.
I heard an interview where Eric Idle claimed Always Look on the Bright Side of Life was the most requested secular song at funerals.

Idle says he wrote it, by the way, because the end of Life of Brian was too depressing. So, you know, jaunty musical number.
Not a bad way to be rung out as far as it goes, but I'm a fan of this one.

I chose this vid because the official video is awful, and also because it's awesome to watch a bunch of guys in hideous coats try to pogo and sing at the same time (spoiler alert: they fail).
What about you? What will they play at your funeral? 

No comments:

ShareThis