Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

A blog about words, wordplay, and etymology, with slightly more than occasional political rants.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Sorry seems to be the hardest word

In my last post, I used the neologism fauxpology, a term which is maybe the best thing to come out of the Internet since cat videos. 

Something else that's kind of the best? Jonah Hill. Specifically, Jonah Hill's anti-fauxpology.
See, Hill called a paparazzo a hateful gay slur. And while the photographer had apparently been following him all day long, calling him names and insulting his friends and loved ones, Jonah Hill emphatically points out that the behavior did not, in any way, justify his use of such a hateful word.
 

I would not have thought it possible to think more of a celebrity after he used such a hateful word and yet, this apology is maybe the sincerest thing I've ever heard a celebrity say. It doesn't hurt that he has been consistently outspoken in his support of GLBT folks all over the world. 
And actually, I can kind of understand why he used that word in particular. To me, the word Hill used is right up with the "N" word. But the worst slur in the world to me is "retard." That's such a bad word to me that when I'm absolutely livid and searching my brain for the most horrible, mean, cruel thing I can call a person... "retard" is the word that wants to come out of my mouth. It's not because I hate people with disabilities, it's because I hate the word. If you followed me around for an entire day insulting me and everything I care about, I might snap and call you a "retard."

No comments:

ShareThis