Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

Brigid Daull Brockway is technically a writer

A blog about words, wordplay, and etymology, with slightly more than occasional political rants.

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Crying shame

As a feminist and a comic book fangirl I know I'm supposed to be mad that Jeremy Renner and Chris Evans called the character Black Widow a slut and a whore. But dude, they made a clearly not serious comment while clearly slap-happy as hell from a punishing junket schedule. I think it's really dumb and tone-deaf to use the words they used, but is saying the word slut the same as slut-shaming? I don't know. 
Maybe my opinion's informed by the many conversations I've had with other fankids discussing the sex lives and anatomy of super heroes of both genders (I mean, who hasn't pondered the nature of the Thing's thing?). I've said worse. Sure, I haven't said worse while on a press junket in an interview that children would see. I'm not a movie star that children look up to. Wash Chris Evans' and Jeremy Renner's mouths out with soap and send them to bed without supper... but I feel like feminist fangirls have bigger fish to fry. 


No comments:

ShareThis