- Frienemy: A friend whom one pretends to like, but actually rather hates. AKA: half of most people's Facebook friends list.
- Friend Zone: "The 'friend zone' is like the penalty box of dating... Once a girl decides you’re her friend, it’s game over. You’ve become a complete non-sexual entity in her eyes...” according to Ryan Reynolds' character in Just Friends. Some say this term is for mysoginists bitter about being rejected, but I think this lady will tell you the condition is not gender-specific:
- Breast Friends: A friendship shared between breast cancer survivors. Recorded by The Rice University Neologisms Database in 2008.
- BFF, Bestie: One's best friend forever.
- Bro: Manly BFF.
- Bromance: An intimate but entirely platonic friendship between two men. I love this term and this concept. I've always thought it must be so lonely to be a dude and have to tone down your affections for fear of seeming gay. Now there's the bromance and it's adorable.
- Intercepted Wave: When you wave to someone you know, but someone else thinks you're waving at them - great bane of the socially awkward.
- China plate: Cockney rhyming slang for mate.